Sophie Callan SCCONTACT DETAILS
Phone: (+61)(02) 9232 6785
Fax: (+61)(02) 9221 7183
Email Sophie Callan
Contact the ClerkPERSONAL ASSISTANT:
Phone: (+61)(02) 8029 6223
Email Lisa WiltshireDownload CV
Silk: Appointed Senior Counsel 2020
Barrister: May 2007
Solicitor: July 2006
BA, LLB (First Class Honours in Law) Australian National University
Criminal Law – including prosecutions and appeals in various courts for environmental offences; drug importation offences; white collar offences; and terrorism offences.
Administrative Law – including challenges to disciplinary convictions in the military; to parole decisions; to workplace compensation decisions; to Local Court decisions.
Corporations/Commercial Law – including insolvent trading claims; contract disputes; and insurance disputes.
Equity – including probate and partnership disputes.
Inquiries – including coronial inquests and ICAC proceedings.
Other – including interstate and international extradition, proceedings under the Crimes (High Risk Offenders) Act; vexatious litigant applications; and common law.
Sophie Callan was called to the bar at a relatively early stage of her career, an associateship cementing her decision. She has successfully established a broad practice which includes the evidentiary rigours of criminal prosecuting work with the forensic nuances of commercial & corporations disputes.
For further information about Sophie, please also see her CV.
Selected recent appearances:
- Judge Advocate and Defence Force Magistrate (sworn in 12/02/2021)
- Flight Lieutenant, Royal Australian Air Force (Reserve Legal Officer) (June 2011 to present);
- Councillor, Bar Council (November 2010 to November 2011; November 2012 – present);
- Chair, New Barristers Committee (June 2011 to June 2013);
- Member, Professional Conduct Committee of the Bar Association of New South Wales (2010 to present);
- Councillor, New South Wales Council of Law Reporting (2010 to present).