Phone: (+61)(02) 8029 6269
Fax: (+61)(02) 9221 7183
Email Talia Epstein
CV is available on request
Attorney, New York State: 2013
Bachelor of Law (UNSW) (First Class Honours)
Bachelor of International Studies (UNSW) (with Distinction)
Master of Law (Columbia University, New York) (James Kent Scholar)
- Appellate (criminal and civil)
- Administrative and constitutional law
- Competition and consumer law
- Criminal law (including white collar crime)
- Disciplinary proceedings
- Equity and commercial law
- International and human rights law
- Regulatory law
Talia Epstein has a diverse legal background with experience in civil litigation and criminal law, and has practised both domestically and internationally. Ms Epstein accepts briefs in a broad range of matters, including commercial law, criminal law and regulatory matters.
Ms Epstein was admitted to practice in 2009 and called to the Bar in 2017. She is also admitted to practice in New York State. Earlier in her career, she worked as Associate to Justice Jacobson in the Federal Court. Prior to coming to the Bar, she practised in New York at the Manhattan District Attorney's Office, where she was involved in prosecuting the Office's largest ever fraud investigation which culminated in the arrest and prosecution of over 100 former New York public officials. Ms Epstein has also practised as a solicitor in NSW and lectured at the University of New South Wales. She has also worked at international organisations including the International Criminal Court in The Hague, and Human Rights Watch in New York.
Ms Epstein holds a Bachelor of Law with First Class Honours from UNSW and a Master of Law from Columbia University, where she was a James Kent Scholar, the highest class of honours. She was the recipient of the Ludlows Award for the highest overall score in the February 2017 NSW bar examinations.
For a list of Ms Epstein’s cases, please see her CV.
Select recent cases include:
- R v Young  QCA 3 (insolvent trading and fraud charges arising from Kleenmaid corporate collapse) (led by W Abraham QC)
- R v Gould (charge of perverting the course of justice in Federal Court taxation proceedings Hua Wang Bank Berhad v Commissioner of Taxation) (NSWDC, 2019, led by J Single SC for the Crown)
- Almona Pty Ltd v Parklea Corporation Pty Ltd  NSWSC 1868 (breach of mortgagee’s duty of sale) (led by N Hutley SC and E Hyde)
- Castagna v R; Agius v R  NSWCCA 114 (tax fraud) (led by T Game SC and S White SC for the appellant)
- Deputy Commissioner of Taxation v Ausmart Services Pty Ltd  FCA 1912; Deputy Commissioner of Taxation v Shi  FCA 1915 (freezing orders and appointment of provisional liquidators) (led by S White SC)
- Attorney General (NSW) v Gatsby; Attorney General (NSW) v Johnson (2018) 99 NSWLR 1;  NSWCA 254 (constitutional law, status of NCAT) (led by Solicitor General S Donohue SC and C Lenehan)