Dr James Renwick SCCONTACT DETAILS
Phone: (+61)(02) 9232 8545
Fax: (+61)(02) 9223 3710
Email Dr James Renwick SC
CLERK: Bob Rymer
Phone: (+61)(02) 9232 4016
Email Bob RymerPERSONAL ASSISTANT:Jessica Xiao
Email Jessica Xiao
Silk: Appointed Senior Counsel in 2011
James is admitted to practice or eligible to practice in all Australian jurisdictions and Papua New Guinea.
Degrees and accreditations
Bachelor of Laws, University of Sydney, 1985
Parsons Scholar, 1993
Doctor of Juridical Studies, University of Sydney, 1993
Fullbright Scholar, 2007
- Administrative law
- Constitutional law
- Regulatory law
- Commercial law
- Disciplinary law
- International law
- National security law
- Appellate (including criminal matters)
- Royal Commissions and Inquiries
- Industrial law
James is a versatile silk with a general commercial and public law practice, and particular interests in appellate (over 25 appearances in High Court appeals), disciplinary, national security and inquiry work. He practices throughout Australia.
He combines over 25 years of legal experience with strong academic qualifications (he is an adjunct professor, holds a doctorate in constitutional law, and is a former Fulbright Scholar), meticulous preparation, and a focus on the issues which really matter to provide the best results for clients.
For further information about James, please also see his CV.
James regularly appears in the High Court (having appeared in over 25 Full Court hearings), Federal Court, NSW Supreme Court and NSW land and Environment Court and before a wide range of tribunals and inquiries.
Some recent leading cases include:
Dhungutti Elders Council RNTBC v Registrar - Federal Court
- 2014 - Senior Member, Occupational Division and Appeal Panel, NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal
- 2013 - Appointed by Chief of Defence Force as a s 154 Reviewing Officer
- 2012 - Adjunct Professor, School of Law, Australian National University
- 2011 - Senior Counsel
- 2011 Head of the Sydney Naval Legal Panel (Captain RANR) – The Panel comprises about 40 Naval reserve lawyers.
- Since 2009 - Associate, Sydney Centre for International Law
- 2005 - Senior Fellow, University of Melbourne Law School
- 2001 – 2003 - Appointed by Attorney-General as Counsel Assisting the Royal Commission into the building and Construction Industry
- 2000, 2001 - Member of the NSW Bar Council
- Former Member of Professional Conduct Committees of the Bar
- 1991 – 1992 - Sub-Warden, St Paul’s College, University of Sydney
- NSW Bar Association
- Australian Institute of Administrative Law
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (Associate)